Sunday, May 24, 2009

Living in Dreams

Ever since I was a child I have been fortunate enough to remember, and often times re-dream, many of my night wanderings. Sometimes I would wake up from a dream, believing I was still exploring the made up spaces of my mind only to feel the grip of reality pulling me back down toward my pillow. Most often I sadly realized it was all a fabrication.

Not to say all my dreams are good...

The worst nightmare I experienced when I was a kid involved a maze and the villain of the popular Popeye cartoon...I think his name was Bluto. Several times over I would find myself running through the maze, its walls glistening with tessellations as the villain chased me further into confusion and absolute terror. I never understood the reason I constantly found myself in this situation, why as I ran through the maze I was bombarded by Bluto's voice echoing off the walls, screaming my name and threatening to "get me". Not once did I ever escape his wrath, but not once did I ever actually face this character.

It's been a while since I had that dream, which I'm very glad for because even today I think it would still wow me. Although, now I often experience a rising of the dead in my dreams. As of late, it's been the reappearance of my childhood dog. I still wake up believing he's still alive and have to remember that he's been gone for four years now...five this coming September. But in my dreams he's still there, placing his head on my feet.

I don't really know why I'm writing this, it has nothing to do with my bad poetry or my short stories, but it's definitely something I've been pondering lately. I've recently had two people talk about horoscope to me, and while I don't believe in that sort of thing, I do however believe in the power of dreams to not only tell you what's up in your own mind, but also what's coming for you.

...if that has any truth to it, then I suppose it means that I dislike seeing things I love disappear (something occurring more often these days) and I'm about to find a wind tunnel underneath my house...

Just a small thought for the moment.

No comments: